Today, I want to introduce you to my top 5 spiritual soul foods.
In an earlier post, I ‘fessed up to my Top 5 Spiritual Junk Foods. I definitely gobble up spiritually empty calories, when I’m not thinking and just grab whatever makes me feel good.
There needs to be an alternative! Because my soul still cries out with hunger pains. I’m still not satisfied.
How about going cold turkey on spiritual junk food? No. Been there, done that. Instead, the fitness experts tell us is to feed our cravings, with delicious healthy foods. What a concept!
To combat spiritual junk food, God introduces some soul nourishing alternatives.
Yes. When I’ve gorged on spiritually empty junk food and it’s left me with heartburn, I stock up on my Top 5 Spiritual Soul Foods and make sure they’re within reach. I hope you’ll find some to your liking, too.
Here are My Top 5 Spiritual Soul Foods:
1. Enjoying-God Whole Grains. Whenever I eat too much People Pleasing Pie, I always go back to the basics of simply enjoying God. Keeping people happy is a bottomless pit that can leave me running on empty. Jesus boils it down simple for me:
“Bonnie, I just want you to love me as you are. I am to be the object of your devotion, affections, and creativity. And remember, I loved you first, even before you ever knew about me. So, no worries about needing to gain my approval. You’ve already got it. Really. Without doing a thing.” Matt. 22:36-38; 1 John 4:19
2. God-Energized Power Bars. When I look to God for strength, it’s the ultimate energy booster. Sure, I can power my way through to try and produce a favored outcome. I want more than that. When I turn to God, I receive an inner strength that makes the experience a fruitful one, that will help me get to know God first hand, up close. I’m after energy that won’t quit on me.
“And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power.. so that you may have great endurance and patience.. “ Col 1:10-11
3. All Surrender Pita Chips. Whoa. This one definitely takes getting used. I am so used to crunching on Problem Solving Chips that are flavored with worry. The thought of tasting some surrender doesn’t seem so appealing. It seems too capricious to just not worry! Only until I return to the foot of the cross, after being crushed down by my burdens, do I finally realize how sweet it is to surrender it all to Jesus!
“Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.” Matt. 11:28-29
4. God’s TLC Frozen Yogurt. No, I’m not talkin’ about the fat loaded yogurt from “Non-fat Yogurt” Seinfeld episode. This is the gentle, loving, understanding heart of God I confide in when I’m feeling sorry for myself. You know, those silly pity parties that aren’t so silly at the time. Why do I have so many hang-ups, God? .. Why am I having to struggle with this problem again? .. Why me?
God takes it all in stride and says, “Go ahead, cast your cares on me, Bonnie. I don’t mind.. And, no. You are not annoying. I love you. I care about you.” 1 Peter 5:7
5. Thirst-Quenching Living Water. Ah. This is definitely one of my favorites. Whenever I’m overflowing with I’m-So-Busy Soda, I run for the hills for some refreshing time with God. Well, not literally, but I try to get away. If I can, outside, in nature.
I spend time in His word, listen to some favorite worship songs, just pour out my heart to Jesus. Voila! I am back refreshed.
“But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst… the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:11-14
Somehow, spending time with God tends to be the first soul food I grab when I’m in need of some nourishment ( I know, water is not a food, but flow with me on this one, will ya’?).
Maybe I’m an introvert at heart, but, getting away to be alone with God never fails to give me a quick, instant shot of relief if I’m needing some spiritual encouragement.
Nevertheless, I can’t digest any of my Top 5 Spiritual Soul Foods without faith. It’s one thing to know this stuff in my head. It’s another to actually see it come alive in my heart and in daily life.
God, give me the faith to believe and take your words to heart. Make them true in my life. Help me to believe. I need to believe. In Your Name I ask, Amen.
How about you? What are your favorite spiritual soul foods?
What thoughts about God do you turn to, for energy, rest or renewal?
This is a great post!
I personally really struggle with reconnecting with God when I need to. I tend to turn to real food, particularly anything with chocolate in, instead of turning to things which will actually feed me the way I need.
@Peter: Oh, boy. Chocolate, huh? That is a tough one. If it’s in my pantry, it’s guaranteed to be gone by sundown for sure, if not by early afternoon! .. Yeah, I catch myself warding off reconnecting with God like it’s the plague! Thank God He already knows what we’re made of and can use us, as is. Unbelievable, really.
[…] see, Aaron’s song, Give It All Away, is about surrender. I love this song. Listening to it lifts me up as well as moves me deep inside. As I heard it […]