Sometimes we wait for love notes. Why wait? Slip in one for someone else and your soul will be fed.
I didn’t think I’d ever get one.
But, one day, in between 3rd period Biology class and 4th period English class, I opened my squeaky, junior high yellow locker and out tumbled a piece of folded notebook paper.
It was a love note.
From a secret admirer.
For a moment, I thought it was from him.
Maybe? Could it be?
I hugged the letter against my beating heart and tucked it into the plastic pocket of my Trapper Keeper.
There’s nothing more soul filling than receiving a love note.
Except giving one.
You know when Jesus says, Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)?
I think of things that feed my soul.
I think of love notes.
A love note is one of the most amazing ways to fill a person’s soul.
It’s a gift (free too!).
It’s words of affirmation (it’s very hard to forget a love note).
It’s an act of service (writing takes time!).
It’s spending quality time (which inevitably happens after someone receives your gift).
If you find yourself busy — feeling life is just a long list of chores — take a moment to think of someone you can splurge encouragement on.
Not because they deserve it.
Not because you “should” do it.
Do it because you can.
Grace to Breathe
Write a love note.
~ A simple sentence or two (this is key if you’re going to actually do it).
~ Use whatever paper, post-it, notepaper, memo pad, that is within your reach.
~ Send it in the mail or tuck it secretly somewhere for that someone to find.
~ Or email a free e-card if you don’t have the address easily retrievable.
The grace you gave yourself, in order to write that note for someone else, will breathe God’s peace and joy in you.
— Not because you did something “good”,
— But because God sees what you do in secret
— And He loves to give to you in secret too!
Here are some ideas to kick start your brainstorm of Ways To Slip In a Love Note:
1. On a post-it note: Write “I love you TJ! – Mommy” with a heart and smiley face and slip in in your child’s lunch box.
2. Tear a page from your memo note hanging on your fridge and write “I’m thinking of you.” and stuff it in your hubby’s wallet (while he’s getting ready for work).
3. Pick up your roomate’s favorite snack (M&M’s?) as you check-out and leave a “just for you” note on her pillow.
4. Browse an e-card and just email your friend a silly, funny card and just say hi.
5. Find a random card in your unused card stash and send an anonymous note of thanks or encouragement to your small group leader or someone who serves in the nursery.
6. Text your friend, child, or spouse and say “Miss you. Wish I was having a coffee with you.”
7. Stop by the cafe and grab a pastry — or better yet, if you’re in the mood — make a rice krispy and give it to a friend with a note “Just because”.
Now before you start turning this brainstorm list into a check list — stop.
Pick ONE idea that just catches your heart. Makes you smile.
That’s the one I encourage you to try.
Words have the power to lift up or bring down.
Let’s feed our soul by giving it a love note work out.
It’ll build up a hearty appetite for some lovin’ words from Jesus, who will be slipping in notes from His heart to you too.
“Give your gifts in private,
and your Father, who sees everything,
will reward you.”
~ Jesus (Matthew 6:4)
As for who sent me that love note?
It wasn’t him.
Three decades later, I finally did open a love note that came from the one I dreamed of, the one I call Hubby.
But, that’s another story.
For another day.
What kind of love note do you long to receive?
It’s a great way to brainstorm ways to slip in a love note and bless people in your life.
Pull up a chair. I love company and enjoy hearing your thoughts. Click to share a comment.
** Don’t miss! ** If you are new to Faith Barista, I’d like to invite you to join me on my journey this month — 31 Days to Feed Your Soul. Click to subscribe by email and get each post in this series served up hot and fresh directly in your mailbox.
To catch up and read all the posts in this series —
Photo credit: missboballi via Photobucket.